| CharlotteUprising.com 9/29/2016|
* * * URGENT ACTION NEEDED * * *
We demand an immediate end to
repression of demonstrators in Charlotte!
Call/Email CMPD, Mecklenburg County Sheriff,
Mayor Roberts, Attorney General Roy Cooper,
& Governor Pat McCrory
Jail Liaison – Karla Gary
Office phone: 980-314-5550
Public Information Manager – Anjanette Flowers Grube
Office phone: 980-314-5170
Cell phone: 704-634-5072
Mayor Jennifer Roberts
Governor Pat McCrory
Attorney General Roy Cooper
Since demonstrations began against the police murder of Keith Lamont Scott, police in Charlotte have been mass arresting protesters & legal observers, using chemical weapons, and violating their most basic rights.
Jamil Gill (aka King Mills), who many around the country and the world know for his on the ground livestreams from the first nights of protest, has been a particular target of police repression ever since the protests began. He was arrested and issued an outrageous bond of $320,000, which the movement fought and reduced to a still obscene amount of $162,000.
He was bonded out early in the day on September 28, and subsequently REARRESTED by police as he ate lunch! This is
a clear attempt to intimidate and harass Gill, and an attempt
by the state to silence and have a chilling effect on the rest of the movement.
During demonstrations on September 21, police attacked the protests and killed 26-year-old Black man Justin Carr. Continuing their targeting Black and Brown people and a total lack of transparency by the CMPD, they are falsely accusing Raquan Borum for Justin’s death.
The police have continued to violate arrestees’ legal rights by:
- Instructing the National Guard and police to blockade the jail (at least three times since the uprising began) to prevent the release of arrestees whose bond was paid
- Using bogus excuses like fire drills, ‘suspicious packages,’ and even characterizing our jail solidarity team gathering at the jail as a ‘protest’ to lock down the jail for hours
- Intentionally delaying the release of arrestees
- Not published arrestees’ names online, impeding our ability to provide them legal support
We need you to call and email the jail, Charlotte and state officials and demand that they stop violating arrestees’ rights!
Script for call or email:
My name is _______________ and I am a resident of
__________________. Can I speak to (See list above)
I am calling to demand that you stop the repression of demonstrators in Charlotte.
- We demand an end to the attacks on Jamil Gill! Stop the arrests of all protesters!
- We demand that an independent investigation of the killing of Keith L. Scott and the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Dept!
- We demand that you stop purposefully obstructing the release of arrestees!
- We demand that all the charges against those who have been arrested are dropped!
Hands off #CharlotteUprising!
The whole world is watching, and we won’t stop until
our demands are met and the people get justice!